PROFESSIONAL INSURANCE EVALUATIONS
1939 Harrison Street, Suite 915, Oakland, CA 94612
Phone (510) 845-0777 Fax (510) 845-1777
Professional Insurance Evaluations
EXECUTIVE GENERAL ADJUSTER:
Expert in the investigation of the cause and origin of physical damages to real and personal property, fixtures, and equipment. Also, the expert at calculating Business Interruption and Extra Expense resulting from these claims.
We will analyze plans and specifications developed by architects, consulting engineers and contractors. We will establish the scope of repair, the setting of building specifications for accurate bid procurement and cost evaluation to maximize the recovery of the client under the insurance contract.
Specialized contract review of the insurance policy, endorsements and coverage to expose the available limits of insurance and to allow you to capitalize on all relevant claims. Our expertise in the interpretation of insurance coverage provisions, consistent with legal theories and industry custom and practices, is known in the local insurance community.
Litigation support in the development of Insurance Bad Faith cases: we have worked on many plaintiff cases in private practice and significant cases in defense of the insurer. Expert witness stature. Investigates, reviews and evaluates insurance file documentation to identify Unfair Claims Practices Violations, evidence of Bad Faith claims handling and prepare counsel for discovery, deposition and document requests.
Expert consulting to attorneys in the development of information in the discovery process, interrogatories, request for admissions, document production and review of production for strategic and litigation success.
Expert witness experience for both plaintiff and defense in high profile cases, such as:
Aubrey N. Blair, et. al. v. Allstate Insurance Company, et. al.
(San Francisco Superior Court Case # 313720)
IIA, Zurich, IRI and Ace America, et. al. v. Harrah’s Inc., MCA, Inc., et. al.
(U.S. District Court, Nevada Case # CV-S-02-0236-KJD-PAL)
Chubb Group of Insurance Companies San Francisco, California
15 years experience
- Investigates the cause and origin of damages to real and personal property, fixtures, and equipment. Establishes scope of repair and build-out; setting of building specifications for accurate bid procurement. Analysis of plans and specifications developed by architects and consulting engineers.
- Arson and fraud investigations. Detection of business fraud, document alteration and misrepresentation. Development of evidence to support claims denials for policy violations. Theft, embezzlement, fidelity investigation and accounting fraud.
- Expertise in fire inspection and assessment; major water damage, earthquake losses, structural and construction evaluation; structural failure and soils subsidence. Contamination losses to building, improvements fixtures and personal property.
- Construction cost estimating a strength; accurate and verified costs analysis completed with appropriate inquiries. Verification of construction scope with field conditions and detailed drawings. Superior negotiation skills in resolving complex claims.
- Property, Business Income, Builders Risk, Course of Construction, Inland and Ocean Marine policy coverage analysis expertise.
- Contract review; insurance policy coverage analysis; lease analysis and tenant’s interests; construction contract adequacy and compliance; determination of liability based on terms.
Aetna Life & Insurance Co. San Francisco Branch
Senior Claims Representative
5 years experience
- Commercial Claims adjuster: investigation and analysis of commercial and personal lines claims.
- Arson and fraud claims investigations on personal and commercial lines clients. Development of evidence to support coverage denials for policy violations.
- Business Income investigation. Analysis of financial records to determine loss.
- Examination Under Oath: collaborated with attorneys on suspicious claims.
- Coverage defense and litigation support on Bad Faith defense suits.
Real Estate Appraiser
3 years experience
- Property Appraiser specializing in residential income property. Review of leases, cash flows and expenses to assist in the determination of valuation of asset for lending purposes.
Alameda County Assessor’s Office
Real Property Appraiser
2 years experience
- Property Tax Appraiser for ad valorem taxation. Specializing in Apartment assessment; review of building permits and construction activity for compliance with tax regulations. Site inspection, construction cost estimating, purchase and lease contract review.
Private Portfolio Investments
Real Estate Investments
1983 to Present
- Active in the identification, contract negotiation, purchase and procurement of residential real estate investment property.
- Development and implementation of plan to renovate and modernize realty to meet current tenant demand. Finance and budget costs to meet established goals.
- Advertise, interview and screen tenants. Prepare and execute lease agreements. Manage and resolve landlord/tenant issues, complying with accepted policy, applicable laws and lease covenants.
- Collect rents, manage expenses and vendor payments.
University of Washington School of Law Seattle, Washington
University of California
A.B. Political Science
Merritt College Oakland, California
Real Estate Certificate
TRAININGS/CERTIFICATIONS & ACTIVITIES
- Bad Faith Litigation: Active in cases filed in California, Arizona, Nevada, Missisipi and Federal Courts
- Certified: Unfair Claim Practices Act
- Panelist, Winetech, Oakland Convention Center; “Claims in the Wine Industry”
- National Arson Investigation Training Seminar, ICAC
- Presentation, Chubb S.F. Agency “Products Fair”: “Total Loss Fire Claims”
- Presentation, Golden Gate Heights Neighborhood Association: “Earthquake Preparedness”
- Presentation, Sedgwick James of San Francisco: “Biotechnology Business Income”
- Property Claims Audit Team Member
- Research Papers:
- “Analysis of Coverage, Investigation and Adjustment of Fidelity Losses”
- “The Theory of Concurrent Causation and Loss Determination”
- “Out of Sight Stock Losses” and “The Adjustment of a Total Loss Fire”
- “Business Income Analysis of Biotechnology Claims”
- Chubb Training Courses: Boiler and Machinery; Coverage Awareness; Non-Manufacturing Business Income; Arson and Fraud Investigation; Manufacturing Business Income.
- Aetna Advanced Commercial Property Claim Seminar
- Xerox Professional Sales Skills II
- Fire/Arson Task Force Seminar, S.F.F.D.
- Insurance Technical Training Institute: “Cost Estimating”
- State of California, State Board of Equalization: Appraiser #4564
- State of California, Public Insurance Adjuster License #2C81994
- Global Environmental “Mold Across America”
- Forensic Analytical Laboratories: “Primer on Microbial Contamination: Sampling, Laboratory, Remediation and Legal Aspects”
- Environmental Risk Resource Association “Mold: State of the Art Insurance Solutions”